|Publisher version (open access)||870 KB||Adobe Acrobat PDF||View/Open
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.13/933098
- Investigation of a short-range underwater acoustic communication channel for MAC protocol design
Burrowes, Gunilla E.;
Khan, Jamil Y.
- The University of Newcastle. Faculty of Engineering & Built Environment, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Mobile swarms of autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) have exciting potential for extending current AUV applications and adding new possibilities to the working environment of the oceans. For swarm operations to occur, fast reliable communication between all vehicles within the swarm is needed. The challenge for underwater communication is the very different and unique characteristics of the channel compared to the terrestrial environment. Acoustic communication has been the typical physical layer technology used for underwater operations and has experienced significant research and progress over the last few decades, however this focus has been predominately on longer range acoustic channels. The work presented in this paper is to determine the critical parameters of an underwater acoustic communication channel for the evaluation and development of a new MAC Protocol designed for short range communication between vehicles operating within a swarm. This paper provides a review of the essential channel characteristics and the modelling currently in use for this purpose, highlighting the difference for short range operations. It then assesses the electro-acoustic interface with investigation into the parametric relationship between digital modulation requirements and short range channel characteristics.
- 4th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS'2010). 4th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems, ICSPCS'2010: Proceedings (Gold Coast, Qld 13-15 December, 2010)
- Publisher Link
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
MAC protocol design;
autonomous underwater vehicles;
short-range underwater acoustic communication channel
- Resource Type
- conference paper
- Copyright © 2010 IEEE. Reprinted from the Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems, ICSPCS'2010. This material is posted here with permission of the IEEE. Such permission of the IEEE does not in any way imply IEEE endorsement of any of the University of Newcastle's products or services. Internal or personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution must be obtained from the IEEE by writing to email@example.com. By choosing to view this document, you agree to all provisions of the copyright laws protecting it.