It is an irony that the handsome golden hued Paradise sandstone buildings of the austere Randwick Asylum remain, but the battalions of destitute children once housed there have long since departed; disappearing into humble positions in the city or the bush of colonial and fin-de-siècle New South Wales. The place was nearly emptied of them by April 1915 when the ANZAC landing at Gallipoli was taking place in the first years of the Great War. The Asylum's remaining charges were then re-housed in government cottage- style settlements or boarded-out with foster parents. By the following year, the buildings were again being filled, this time with the war wounded from the disastrous campaign in the Dardennelles. Under the provisions of the Federal Defence Act, 1915, the buildings and lands of the Randwick Asylum were requisitioned until 1919.
Scenes from Childhood: NSW Chapter Papers & Proceedings p. 15-24