Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.13/927793
- The perpetual allure of the Bible for Marxism
- The University of Newcastle. Faculty of Education & Arts, School of Humanities and Social Science
- In light of the general lack of awareness of the long history of Western-Marxist fascination with the Bible, this article offers a synopsis of part of that history. After showing how the Bible was an important element in the work of Ernst Bloch, Walter Benjamin and Theodor Adorno, it the offers a critique of the current engagements with it by Alain Badiou, Slavoj Žižek, Terry Eagleton and Giorgio Agamben. The third section deals with the most significant element of the religious Left in recent years, namely liberation theology. It closes with some comments concerning the growth of Marxist biblical studies and some suggestions for the way Marxism might reconnect with a non-reified biblical tradition.
- Historical Materialism: Research in Critical Marxist Theory Vol. 15, Issue 4, p. 53 - 77
- Brill Academic Publishers
- Resource Type
- journal article