- O'Gorman, Lyndal, Ailwood, Jo. Sage; 2012. They get fed up with playing: 'parents' views on play-based learning in the Preparatory Year.
- Ailwood, Jo. Routledge; 2011. It's about power: researching play, pedagogy and participation in the early years of school.
- Ailwood, Jo. Symposium Journals; 2007. Mothers, teachers, maternalism and early childhood education and care: some historical connections.
- Brownlee, Jo, Syu, Jia-Jia, Mascadri, Julia, Cobb-Moore, Charlotte, Walker, Sue, Johansson, Eva, Boulton-Lewis, Gillian, Ailwood, Jo. Pergamon Press; 2012. Teachers' and children's personal epistemologies for moral education: case studies in early years elementary education..
- Johansson, Eva, Cobb-Moore, Charlotte, Lunn-Brownlee, Joanne, Walker, Sue, Boulton-Lewis, Gillian, Ailwood, Jo. Early Childhood Australia; 2014. Children's perspectives on values and rules in Australian early education.
- Ailwood, Jo. Sage; 2008. Learning or earning in the 'smart state': changing tactics for governing early childhood.
- Ailwood, Jo, Brownlee, Jo, Johansson, Eva, Cobb-Moore, Charlotte, Walker, Sue, Boulton-Lewis, Gillian. Routledge; 2011. Educational policy for citizenship in the early years in Australia.